Popular Posts

Thursday 27 June 2013

shahi paneer

The dish is very famous throughout the length and breadth of this country. The name says it all, how exciting to find myself interested only for the dishes for the Nawabs, first biryani, tandoors, and now paneer.  It is quite true that the Mughals ruled this country for some reason and one of the reason that I find is that they gifted us with such exciting delicacies. Such dishes have not only cemented their places in Indian hearts but also been reformed to various forms depending upon various regions. Every place has its take on these traditional dishes.

       I do not simply understand the method to do something the same old way, the way it was inherited to us. For sure I would like to add a twist of my own and try out the traditional “Shahi Paneer”, What? Yeah, you might be wondering that how a non-veg lover like me landed his experience on vegetarian! For those who of you might have forgotten let me remind you that my quest to win over my moms’ appreciation is still on and as she is completely a vegetarian I had to do it.

      It’s been a year that I left Bangalore in search of a job after my graduation, as everyone does. I did everything just the way everyone does but the only thing that I didn’t do was go out spending on costly eateries rather preferred cooking for myself and who else was there to taste other than me! I remember that I also used to pack it as my lunch of my office, that includes a bit more than required as my colleagues used to love the way I did it. So let’s start with,

Ingredients:

250 gms. paneer (cottge cheese)

3 tbsp. ghee or butter

1 onion chopped into strips

1/2" piece ginger chopped fine

2 green chillies chopped fine

4 tomatoes chopped fine

2 cardamoms crushed

1/4 cup beaten curd

1/2 tsp. red chilli powder

1/2 tsp. garam masala

salt to taste

1/2 cup cream

2 tbsp. tomato paste

To garnish:

2 tbsp. grated paneer

1 tbsp. chopped coriander

Procedure:

Chop the paneer into slices.

Heat half the ghee. Add onion till golden brown.

Then add chopped ginger, green chilli and cardamom and fry for 3-4 minutes.

Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 7-8 minutes until tomatoes are completely cooked, covered it if required.

Add curd and cook for 5 minutes.(always add curd by turning down the flame else the curd might split)

Add 1/2 cup water.

Blend in a mixer till smooth.

Heat remaining ghee, add gravy and other ingredients except milk and paneer.

Boil to get a very thick gravy.(adding cream to it will definitely make the gravy thick)

Add the milk and paneer slices and boil for 3-4 minutes.

Garnish with chopped coriander and grated paneer.

*ghee can be replaced with olive oil, you know why am saying this.

*adding cream is also optional which you can replace with tomato sauce.

Am telling you cooking away from your own kitchen is really very difficult, I understood this only when I cooked back there in Bangalore. This was the first dish I prepared and since I was dying out of hunger didn’t think of a photo, but I promise the next time I try this out will definitely upload some clicks. Since blogging is new to me I have learnt that photography is equally important as the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment