Popular Posts

Saturday 29 June 2013

steamed tandoori

I love it when its a wednesday or a friday, bottomline is I get to eat non-veg. Yup my family I forgot to tell you guys are a bit inclined to religious believes so my eating habits are limited to few days a week when it comes to a non-veg menu. Though my pops and I have no problem at all in engulfing non-veg every day but there are times when we gotta listen to mom, after all the boss of the house.Since its a friday and I got my chance today I will skill myself to a new menu for lunch.

My new dish name might be a bit brow raiser, yet at the same time it is quite delicious, I can bet on it.
Tandoori Chicken derives its name from the fact that the chicken is cooked in a Tandoor, an Indian clay pot heated to high temperature. This gives it a distinctive flavor to the chicken apart from the fact hat it is  marinated in yogurt and spices. The spice blend used for the chicken also takes from the Tandoor, and is called Tandoori Masala. Its quiet ironic in a way that Tandoori chicken, that gets its name from "Tandoor" has become a household recipe, without the Tandoor. You can grill it in your oven, barbecue or steam it.


If you are someone who swears by the dish, and you don't have an oven, don't have a barbecue, what do you do? You can steam it. The fact is. Trying this method is also not bad and even more healthier than the traditional clay oven tandoor.

There are some basic reasons to it. One of the important thing is the texture. Steaming results into a very juicy and succulent chicken. The beautiful stock that's formed due to steaming makes it easier to serve, besides that I think its much easier to pack things in a foil, leave it to steam to do the rest of the work. The only thing you need to do is open the foil at the table to relish the juicy steamed chicken. I love it when the face is hit by a sudden steam and the aroma of the spices even before it gets into the mouth.




Ingredients
1 kg Chicken thighs

2 Red onions (sliced)
1 Tomato ( sliced)
3 tbsp Tandoori Masala
1/2 cup Yogurt
1 tsp Black pepper powder
 2 cloves
7-8 Garlic pieces
1 inch Ginger
Red chilli powder
Salt to taste

Tandoori Masala
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp cloves  powder
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg 
1/2  tsp mace powder
1 tbsp cumin  powder
2 tbsp ground coriander powder
1 tsp fenugreek powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
1/2 tsp mango powder
1 tbsp red chilly powder
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric powder

You can also use some drops of oil if you want.
 


You could use the store bought tandoori masala. I'm sure many of you would prefer doing just that. My only problem with store bought tandoori is masala is the aroma of freshly ground spices will definitely be missing.

The same spices can be used to make the Garam masala, but we just do not use the mango powder,sweet paprika, ginger and garlic powder.

For the tandoori masala I freshly grind whole spices but ginger powder, garlic powder, sweet paprika, turmeric, red chilly powder and mango powder are ready grounded ones from the market.

You can try out the same with red meat, pomfret, any kind of meat of your choice and please do let me know the result. I will soon try it out with the pomfret and mutton and let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment